Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!


This year has been so busy for us, especially in the past few months, so I have failed and didn't manage to get Christmas cards out this year. So, in lieu of them, Luke and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year via our blog. We wish we could celebrate the holidays with all of you and we miss you all dearly.

We had a fun visit into Houston the past two days to celebrate early with each side of the family. It was quiet at Mom's house, with only my sister Brittany there. Luke's parents' house was a little more lively, with his nieces and nephew there, but we missed seeing his older brother and his family. We visited my grandparents for a little while on Monday, but I wish we could have stayed longer - I don't get to see them enough.

Tonight Luke and I will exchange our annual Christmas Eve gift (new pjs) after I get home from work, and then tomorrow morning I'll continue the tradition that my grandma started, with a delicious Christmas morning brunch. We're inviting a friend over to celebrate with us, so it won't be quite so lonely. Then I'm off to serve hundreds of other people Christmas dinner/dessert at work!

And a pause for reflection - the state of the economy has helped refocus us on what's most important to remember over Christmas. Usually we get all hyped up on gifts, and though we are still exchanging them this year, it's become less about the items bought and money spent, and more about the spirit of giving. I won't be able to attend any church services this year due to my work schedule, but we'll take the time tonight and tomorrow morning to reflect on the greatest gift of all - Christ.

Luke 2:9-11
"And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them...Do not be afraid; for behold I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."

No comments: