Monday, June 08, 2009

Hey Big Spender...

...you're out the door!

Luke and I have never been big spenders, but we like to eat out and that adds up. We've always tried to be as frugal as possible, but New York did not serve us well in regards to our savings account, so we're developing new ways to save.
  • Cloth diapers - diapering would be our biggest expense if we were doing disposable, but we were gifted with all of the cloth diapers we need for Avery, so the only thing we have to purchase is detergent (which lasts FOREVER since we only need to use half the amount the bottle recommends per load) and diaper wipes. We're even considering switching to cloth wipes, since we're doing laundry anyways. We've been drying them in the dryer, but I'm switching to sun-drying them.
  • No eating out - ok, honestly, minimal eating out. Living in the country makes it difficult to just stop and pick something up on the way home, so I'm having to carefully plan my grocery trips and I'm cooking every night, unless we have a leftover night.
  • Start a garden - maybe?
  • Ditching the expensive dish sponges and switching to dishcloths.
Our biggest change is moving back to Houston. This is partly for financial reasons, so I won't have to put Avery in daycare if I go back to work (and I don't want to put her there, even if it were affordable), and partly just to be near family again.

No comments: