Tuesday, September 29, 2009
You can enter the contest for yourself on these sites:
Monday, September 21, 2009
1. I'm facing yet another move in a few months, right after Christmas. Back to one of our favoritest cities, so that's exciting, but I'm also tired of moving. I'm ready to be settled finally. We're still not buying a house, which is disappointing, but in God's timing we'll find the right one for us.
2. Baby-proofing is next on my to-do list. Avery is scooting, and this week has been trying to get up on her knees. That spells major trouble for all of the things I've been keeping too low. It's time to protect her little fingers and protect my breakables.
3. I miss baking. I miss the activity of the professional kitchen. I don't miss the crazy hours though. I don't know that I miss it enough to go back to it in reality. So I play around at home, experimenting with new recipes, making old favorites, whatever tempts my sweet tooth at that time.
4. I LOVE being a mom. More than anything I've ever done. This is my life's purpose. Avery brings a smile to my face everyday. She can instantly turn my grumpy mood around.
5. I'm learning how to balance my role as mom versus my role as wife. It's hard to find the right balance some days. Sometimes it's easier to focus solely on the baby. Some days it feels like we bounce Avery back and forth between us, and never find a moment to connect with each other, without Avery. But, my love for Luke has deepened even more, as I watch him grow into his role as a wonderful father to our baby girl. I love watching the two of them together.
6. I'm teaching myself Photoshop Elements. It has all of the features I need, without the hefty price tag of the full version of Photoshop. I am loving it. I feel so proud of myself when I figure something out on my own.
7. Today I'm suffering from a cold. Avery has a mini version of this cold, which I guess I caught from her. Only I have it ten times worse. And I still managed to clean the bathroom today, and get dinner on the table, and make pumpkin creme brulee for dessert, while caring for a baby.
8. I'm amazed at how quickly the housework piles up. Dishes. Laundry. Those are the only two things we manage to sort-of stay on top of. Deep cleaning doesn't happen as often. Mail piles up. Thankfully I have a super-helpful hubby.
9. Avery is sleeping through the night, and has been since about 3 months, if not sooner. And I'm talking 12 hours here. 12 HOURS!! Apart from the occasional growth spurt where she wakes up starving at 4 am for a few nights, she's consistently 7p-7a. Love. It.
10. Did I mention I love being a stay-at-home mom? Yes, I miss work sometimes. But staying home is amazing. I've never been a huge career person (those who know me will heartily agree and laugh along with me here). This time with Avery is a blessing; even though we're making some sacrifices in the material world, it's all worth it to spend my days watching her grow.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Tag I'm it!
This is contest entry for those crazy folks at TodaysMama and Cricut. Be sure to check out Cricut's cool new cartridges and the chance at $30,000 in travel for you and your friends at The Great Gypsy Escape!
1. If you could escape to anywhere in the world where would it be?
New York City for an escape from the everyday - I used to live there; love it. miss it.
For a relaxing vacation - I've always wanted to see Bora Bora. I love the name. Plus, it's gorgeous.
2. What song do you play when you are by yourself in the car?
I'm NEVER by myself in the car. But, if I were, I'd pull out my French pop music and try to sing along, even though I know NONE of the words.
3. If you had a night to yourself, and money was no object, what would you do?
Dinner at Per Se in NYC and then a long soak in the tub at the Plaza.
4. What is your guilty pleasure?
marshmallows and chocolate sauce put on top of brownies just out of the oven. and then a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of that.
5. What is the farthest place you have traveled away from your home?
Rome. High school trip. FABULOUS.
6. Last book that you couldn't put down?
The Time Traveler's wife. A total chick-lit read, but it was fantastic.
7. When you want to escape into another time, what movie do you watch?
Sleepless in Seattle - it is my absolute favorite. I used to fall asleep to it every night in high school.
8. My favorite local escape?
Any coffee shop where I can hide in the corner with a cup of joe and a good book. Doesn't happen much anymore. Or ever.
9. How do you escape on a budget?
Sonic Happy Hour! I get a HUGE drink for only $1, and I don't have to talk to anyone, since I stay in my car. Love drive-ins.
10. Best food you've ever had while on vacation.
It's a toss-up between the pizza at Lombardi's or the breakfast (french toast) at Clinton Street Baking Company (all in NYC). Yes, I vacationed there before I moved there and found these great restaurants.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Saturday, September 12, 2009
I had to start supplementing Avery's feedings with some formula last week. It was such a hard thing to do, but she has been a gazillion times happier since I started this. I didn't realize that her grumpy nature had been because she was hungry. I've worked hard on correcting the problem with my supply, and I've been able to cut way back on the formula, only needing it about once a day now, thank goodness.