Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas 2011

Some highlights of our Christmas celebration, just so I don't forget them. 

Christmas Eve service at my mom's church. Avery went right into childcare with no problems and had fun, which is always a relief. Eleanor made it through half the service before Luke took her out to walk, since it was during her cranky hour. 

Group grand-kids pictures done Christmas Eve morning amidst the chaos of last-minute shoppers at the mall. 

Avery's excitement over opening presents. She had hot chocolate while we waited for the rest of the family to get home from dinner (we left the restaurant early so we could get Eleanor down for the night). We always open one present on Christmas Eve, and it's always new pajamas so everyone looks good on Christmas morning for pictures.

Avery's multiple meltdowns over not being able to open presents when she wanted. All my efforts at focusing the season on Christ and celebrating Advent this year seemed lost in the light of presents. Four Christmases didn't help either. 2 is a difficult age sometimes. 

Avery LOVED the train set we got her. It's now set up in our tiny hallway, thanks to Luke, who stayed up last night to build it for her so she could play with it today. 

Christmas morning brunch at my grandparents, a tradition. Christmas dinner at my Great-Aunt Mary's, in which Avery exclaimed, "Oh, I can't believe it!" when she opened a present of a book from Aunt Mary and Uncle Dan. 

Avery, at opening a doll set from Aunt Lela, "The mommy doll is a little bit scary." There was a doll nearly as tall as Avery and then a standard size baby doll. She played with the baby, but would keep checking on the larger doll to see if it was still scary. The verdict = yes. 

Eleanor slept most of Christmas morning, hanging out in the swing while we opened presents. She didn't seem too interested in what was going on. 

The girls also had colds this past weekend, which made for a cranky Eleanor at times, though she's generally happier than I would expect, quick to offer anyone smiles when they look her way. Some of her crankiness stemmed from shots last week. 

We had originally planned on traveling to Louisiana to visit Luke's grandparents, but by Monday, the girls had reached the end of their limits for traveling and being off schedule, and I have reached my limit for 2011. It was simply time to go home and rest and just be alone for a few days before Luke has to go back to work next week. Christmas was harder than I thought it would be, in missing Dave. It's good to be home.

We took pictures, I promise, lots of them, but they're all on my mom's camera and I forgot to upload them to my computer before we left. 


No comments: